Monday, February 11, 2013

Consult with Oncologist/GI Surgeon


OK...this is the latest (detailed) update in the never ending saga of living with FAP:  I met with the oncologist/GI surgeon (Dr Vohra) at ECU & have to say that I...love...her!  She treated me like I was a human & not another “case”.  She even told the medical student that I probably knew more than she (the oncologist) did about FAP/Gardner's Syndrome.  She was amazed at my many GI (gastrointestinal) surgeries that I've had because it’s common for a doctor to see patients with just 1 of them but not 1 patient with all of them (subtotal colectomy with IRA, a resection, total removal with a j-pouch & temporary ileostomy & a Whipple)…I even got to show her my scar.  LOL

Anyway, Dr Vohra gave me the biopsy results from my scopes (upper & lower) 2wks ago which showed that while I had NO malignancies, I definitely have adenomatous (pre-cancerous) polyps in my stomach, in the upper portion of my small intestines (where my duodenum used to be), AND in the lower portion of my small intestines (where my colon used to be).  (So much for that other gastroenterologist in Wilmington with his very dismissive “that doesn't happen” attitude.)

I also got an education in how the GI tract was designed to work.  Since I lost my pyloric valve in the Whipple procedure, if food backs up in my small intestines, there’s nothing to prevent it from going back into my stomach or just staying in my stomach before emptying (Delayed Gastric Emptying or DGE).  She explained that while the stomach produces digestive juices, it’s not intended to have food in it on a long-term basis as the small intestines were designed to do.  This especially explains the continual problem I’m having with inflammation & ulceration at the anastamosis site which is where Dr Cameron connected my jejunum (portion of the small intestines after the duodenum which was removed during the Whipple) to my stomach (ie…gastro-jejunum anastamosis).  This continues to happen off & on regardless of the super-duper meds that I take to suppress gastric juices.  It’s also 1 of the reasons why there’s a high chance of malignancy at this site…things just aren't meant to come in contact with stomach tissue like that.

Then, we had a discussion about various options including close monitoring through scopes or surgery & of course, which type & when.  She said that determining a treatment plan for me would not be an easy decision to make because of the fine line between putting off surgery for as long as possible (because the cycle will just repeat itself) & getting it done before a malignancy develops.  Another possibility is just resectioning the anastamosis site because that would  delay the need to have a repeat Whipple…just like before when all of the stuff that plugs into the duodenum was disconnected from the duodenum & then reconnected to the jejunum except this time, it’d all be disconnected from the jejunum & the reconnected to the next part down.  It’d be just as serious & dangerous as the 1st Whipple, & I definitely do not want to repeat that again.  Wow…who knew that I could be Whippled twice?  Not me & I hope that I don't have to, either!

She will call my gastro from NOVA (Dr Brown) as well as my current gastro at ECU (Dr Kandil) to get their input.  She will also present my case before the “Tumor Board” that meets every Friday morning in order to get additional input.  She said that she probably wouldn't present it this week because she wants a fair amount of time to present the case so that the facts don’t get rushed through & end up with a hasty decision. 

As of now, she is also inclined to recommend that I have an endoscopy every 3 months (sooner if additional issues arise) & a colonoscopy of my non-existing colon every 6 months.  She suggests that I have an outline tattooed around the “troubled” portion of my stomach so that it’s easily identified in follow up endoscopes.  Tattooing this area will also help to determine if the adenomas are spreading or if they’re staying isolated in that one area.   Have you ever heard the term “Never say, ‘Never’”?  Well, for those of you who know me well, I’m quite content to be tattoo-free & NEVER want to get one…that’s the need for me to rebel against what everyone’s doing just because “everyone’s” doing it…I’d much rather be an individual.  Well, I find hilarity in the idea that I just might be getting a tattoo after all…even if it’s on the inside where no one else can see.  It’s definitely a reminder that God is in control & that He has a sense of humor.  I will be placed in yet another rare group of those with an internal tattoo, AND I’ll be able to honestly say that I have a tattoo where the sun doesn't shine. ;-)

When it’s determined that surgery can be put off no longer, she suggests only removing the troublesome portion of my stomach & nothing else but also advises that I should be prepared for the worst just in case something happens during surgery which results in having all of my stomach removed which is always a possibility when performing any type of stomach surgery.

Finally, she agreed with Dr Kandil’s suggestion that I meet with a small bowel transplant surgeon in the Raleigh area because there is a very strong possibility that I will need this in the future to prevent short-gut syndrome.

No comments: