Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Kids' Post-scopes Follow-up

Today, we were blessed to wake up before 6am in order to make the long drive to Greenville WITH Dad so he can meet the kids’ gastro (first appointment) and colon-rectal surgeon (2nd appointment) AND get the results of their scopes back in October. This time, Dad got to drive, AND we managed to not even spot any deer along the way!

At both places, the nurse was only ready for 1 child even though both were on the schedule. When I asked about the other child, in both instances, the nurse looked confused before going to get the info on the 2nd child. At the surgeon’s office, Matt was curious to know why this happened again.  I’d already told him that it wasn’t normal for multiple children in a family to be facing colon surgery like this and the nurse agreed with my statement.  Gotta love FAP, right? ;-) Anyway, both docs agreed to do both scopes again in a year…once Matt returns so he can help and not stick me with running back and forth between the kiddos. Both docs also agreed that (barring no problems) surgery can be held off for a few more years...I’m still hoping to do them at the same time. AND there’s a definite possibility of doing an IRA (not the retirement account but an ileo-rectal anastamosis) instead of a j-pouch. YAY! That’s another thing I about these 2 docs...neither discount my medical history and experience with FAP since the age of 12...gotta docs like that who recognize the difference between book knowledge and personal experience. I also found out that the colon surgeon knows the gastro I’m going to be seeing for a 2nd opinion in January.  The doc has a good rep and hopefully won’t blow me off like the other doc I saw in Wilmington.

Once again, the doctors and staff of ECU Physicians managed to AMAZE us!

Best part of the day for the hubby and kiddos?  Getting to eat breakfast at Krispy Kreme in between the two appointments.

No comments: