Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Second Opinion with a NEW Gastro at ECU

Today, I took the trip to Greenville to meet another gastroenterologist.  His name is Dr Hossam Kandil.  He's from Egypt and has the lightest blue eyes I've ever seen.  They are just gorgeous and in such stark contrast to his olive-complected skin.  Anyway, I met him and think he will be a great doctor for me.  He knows a lot about FAP but conceded that I probably knew more than he did.  He listened to my medical history and my concerns.  He did a physical exam which I think was probably the most in depth one any gastro has ever done on me...even Dr Hoang (UNTHSC in TX) and Dr Brown (QVA).  Of course, any type of exam would have been more than the doctor in Wilmington who didn't even poke me or listen to my heart beat.

Dr Kandil wants to repeat both scopes...he's not willing to go off of the previous gastro's scope in October.  I have an appointment scheduled for next week and will need to make arrangements for the kiddos and dog...and of course, a chauffeur for me.

He also recommended that I see a small bowel transplant surgeon just because that is something that may be necessary in my future, and he'd like me to be as informed as possible for whenever the need arises...proactive planning instead of reacting to the situation.

He also knows the kids' pediatric gastro and the colon-rectal surgeon so that will be a good arrangement for them to share info regarding our cases with one another.

I am really excited about this now...reminds me of Quantico when I had the first gastro for a few months and wasn't impressed with him before switching over to Dr Brown.  I am thankful for this new option and will not mind the drive since it ensures that I have great care.

No comments: