Tuesday, October 30, 2007

EXTREME FRUSTRATION

I still do not have the referral for tomorrow. In fact, I was told that it will not be ready until AFTER my appointments tomorrow. It was too late to talk to Dr Cameron’s office to see if he’d see me anyway so I left a message. The bottom line is that we have to leave as if I’m going to be seen for both appointments. Once Dr Cameron’s office opens, we can call & let his secretary know what’s going on & see if he’ll see me anyway. The referral will happen so he can get paid…it just won’t come through BEFORE I see him.

The bottom line is that the new PCM was leery about referring me to a doctor she knew nothing about. She felt that ethically, she couldn’t do it & that Dr Brown (the gastro) should do it. I did not find this out until 4:15…my appointment was for 3:15. A whole hour was wasted when I could have called my case manager & talked to her. Instead, I was talking to her after 4:40. Actually, the PCM’s office had problems with this earlier in the morning but never called me to talk about it. (ARGH!!)

On another note, I am very, very blessed that Amy Stark watched the kids for what seemed to me to be the never-starting & then quickly-ending doctor’s appointment. I certainly didn’t think the kids were going to be there for as long as they were. She was very gracious about the whole thing. I don’t mind other people watching my kids; however, I feel like she was taken advantage of b/c of the whole situation at the doc’s office…I certainly do not want to wear out my welcome or my friendship before this even gets started.

In any case, while I wasn’t pleased about the situation & I was having a pain attack at the time, the PCM did offer some help & insight. 1st, she prescribed me Aciphex to help with the burning (the downside is that it’ll take a few days to really work but should help if I don’t have surgery until after Thanksgiving). She also went over the photos of my previous scope & agreed with what Caelan & I found…there’s evidence that this was going on in 2003 (OK, it’s pretty bad when an 8-yr-old can look at a picture & say, “Mom, it looks almost like this” as he’s pointing to the most recent scope). The PCM also noted that my scope from 2001 shows the signs of the start of this ulcerated mass…I have been complaining since 2001 of the burning pain (which has now greatly intensified). I was surprised by Dr Bataille's memory & attention to detail b/c she remembered something I told her about my dad’s history when I was in the hospital. I guess I’ll have to wait & see if today was an isolated incident or if it’s likely to repeat. If it happens again, my case manager already said that we’ll have to switch to another PCM.

Anyway, I feel much better now than I did earlier; however, I’m thinking that

  • I just took my 2nd dose of (yucky, yucky) steroids for a CAT scan I may not have tomorrow.
  • I’m getting up to leave before 7am & driving through DC rush hour traffic to Baltimore for a visit I may not even have.
  • I’ve arranged for 3 different people to watch my kids so as to not put too much of a burden on any 1 person.
  • I’ll have WASTED 3 days with the kids, spent tons of time on the phone & driving around to get things ready & all I have to show for it is a house that’s a TOTAL wreck at this point
    Matt may have taken off for nothing & he is really, really busy with this presentation for Friday (you can also pray for that).
  • I KNOW something is wrong. I WANT the pain to stop. I WANT the situation to be fixed before it gets worse.

Thank you for reading through this email. I hope it doesn’t sound too bad or like I’m having a pity party or anything like that. I just really, really feel like I’m standing at the entrance to where I want to go (right now, it seems like the Promised Land to me) & need to go through the entrance but am being told that (through no fault of my own) I can’t get in just yet. I don’t even know how to pray for the situation b/c I have no clear indication as to whether this is a “God-thing” or an attack by Satan. All I know is that He is able, & I am an impatient sinner.

I pray that we all have a blessed night of rest & lots of opportunities to praise Him tomorrow.

No comments: