Friday, October 26, 2007

Update from doctor's appointment

I saw Dr Brown (the gastro) today. He is referring me Dr John Cameron at Johns Hopkins. In fact, Dr Brown’s office just called to give me the phone # & said he’s already talked to Dr Cameron, & he’s waiting for my call…of course, since it’s lunch time, the office is closed. Anyway, the mass is basically on 1 side of the duodenum (the place where your stomach empties into your small intestines). The duodenum is where chemical digestion takes place…it’s where food is broken down so it can be absorbed by the rest of your small intestines. It seems that I’m going to be losing most of that area. The process is called a Whipple procedure/bypass. The size of the mass & where it stops is what will affect the surgery. If it stops before the bile & pancreatic ducts plug into the duodenum, then less reconstruction of the area will be needed. If it happens after, then either they’ll remove the gall bladder &/or pancreas or have to redesign where they plug into my body. If that happens, the surgery takes about 8-9 hours (YIKES!!).

I asked Dr Brown about the calcification of the pancreas & the other stuff that brought me to the hospital. He wasn’t sure what was causing all of that but thought that Dr Cameron could take care of it while he was in there. Please pray for wisdom & an accurate diagnosis by Dr Cameron so all of this stuff can be FIXED & HEALED. Basically, Dr Brown did say that if I hadn’t gone in with this undiagnosed issue, the ulcerated mass would have been malignant by the time I got my scope in January. So, praise God for the unexplained pain.

Anyway, Dr Brown suspects that Dr Cameron will want to see me & do his own evaluation/testing so I probably won’t have surgery for another 2-3 weeks…right around Thanksgiving. Recovery time will depend on what actually happens in the OR as well as how long it takes for my system to adjust & start working. Based on several past experiences, that could be 2-3 weeks. (I am praying that the Lord intervenes & causes everything to work quickly & smoothly…but then again, I pray that His will be done & accepted.)

On another note, I learned a lesson the hard way. I didn’t take the Zantac last night before going to bed…I felt “fine” & thought I didn’t really need it. (You know…like maybe it was in my head.) Well, Caelan woke me up at 3am to ask me if I thought his daddy could tuck him back in bed (he didn’t want to wake me up & get me out of bed…I guess to him it’s just better to wake me up & leave me in bed while Matt tucks him in…go figure). Anyway, I immediately realized I was in pain so I took the meds & managed to pass out again in spite of the pain. When I got up at 6am, the pain was gone. I don’t plan on repeating this lesson a 2nd time!

Thank you for your continued prayer, support, phone calls & emails of encouragement.

No comments: