Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Initial Visit with Dr John Cameron

Well, after a lot of insurance/doctor chaos yesterday, the referral to see Dr Cameron went through around 11am this morning while I was waiting to have the CAT scan done. It’s amazing that Tricare approved Dr Cameron’s request for the CAT scan even though they hadn’t approved my visit to him…sometimes, insurance companies make no sense. (For those of you who were aware of the situation and prayed, thanks so much. I was blessed by the Lord’s peace.)

Anyway, Matt and I left around 7:15 am and got there just before 10am. Traffic wasn’t too bad for DC rush hour; however, in some spots, it was just ridiculous.

Dr Cameron said that the mass isn’t dangerous right now and doesn’t even show up on the CAT scan b/c it’s flat. He explained the Whipple procedure and how there’s really no such thing as just resectioning the duodenal area which is about 1 foot long. Usually, the very beginning of the duodenum is left attached to the stomach and with the removal starting right above the bile and pancreatic ducts through to the end of the duodenum. He said that in my case b/c of the location of the mass at the beginning of the duodenum right after the stomach empties into it, he would have to remove 15% of my stomach (most people’s stomachs are 2 times the size actually needed), my whole gall bladder (he said that once the valve is removed, there is nothing to stop infection from entering the gall bladder and stones start forming in about 4 months and the whole thing has to be removed anyway), a small portion of the pancreas where the pancreatic duct attaches to the duodenum (I guess there’s no valve-system to worry about) and the whole duodenum (not able to save any of it even though only a portion of it is the problem).

He advised us of my 2 options:

  1. to have the surgery now
  2. to have endoscopies of the area every 6mos w/ biopsies of the area to check for changes in malignancy and then do surgery when it turns malignant
His own personal recommendation is to have the surgery…no use in putting off the inevitable and risking cancer (and chemo); however, he advised us to talk to my doctor. Dr Brown is supposed to call me Friday morning to talk about it. It was Dr Brown’s recommendation that I see Dr Cameron to talk about the procedure so I’m sure he’s going to advise me to have the surgery. It will probably be scheduled sometime after Thanksgiving.

We discussed length of surgery and recovery time. Since I am small and thin w/o a lot of abdominal fat, the surgery will only be 4½hrs (instead of 5½hrs). There will be a mandatory 8-day stay in the hospital. Then b/c of the distance from Quantico to Baltimore, I’ll be required to stay in Baltimore (I guess at a hotel) for 4-5 days when I go for a follow-up appointment. If all is well at that time, I’ll be allowed to return back to Quantico. He also said that I’ll have no dietary restrictions…just to use wisdom and avoid anything that may cause discomfort or problems…he really didn’t expect it to be an issue. I wouldn’t require any medication for diabetes either since I’ll be keeping most of my pancreas, and I’m not a borderline diabetic. His only real concern was my ability to maintain my weight. I figure I don’t really have a choice…the surgery needs to happen before it turns malignant…either way, I’ll eventually have to see how my body responds to having a slightly smaller stomach…hopefully, in time, it’ll stretch out some. I am trusting God to take care of me andthis whole situation…His hand is obviously upon it. I’d be foolish to say “no”.

So, basically, I’m looking at about a 2 wk stay in Baltimore away from Matt and the kids. Matt will do what he can so he can stay with me right after the surgery and then throughout the week. Of course, there are concerns about taking care of the kids at home and me at the hospital and then the hotel (it’s not like I’ll be ready to run around and get my own food or anything like that). I’m trusting the Lord to work that out as well.

Thank you all for your continued prayers and emails/phone calls with encouragement and support. Also, for those of you who wrote to say that you’re praying even though you haven’t responded to the emails, don’t worry…I know you’re praying and appreciate your prayers.

No comments: