Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Still in Baltimore

Hello, All...

I had my appointment at 7:15 this morning (UGH! including taking 2 kids w/ us). Dr Cameron was concerned about some pain that I'm still experiencing...pain meds isn't even touching it (I was up all night...literally). It's hard to describe, but it's like I'm painfully aware of the upper portion of my small intestines from left to right...it HURTS!!! So, he sent me for labwork & a CAT scan.

The probelm is that insurance requires preauthorization. My case manager was working with the hospital to jump through all the loopholes; however, I was tired, impatient, in PAIN & waiting with 2 very tired & bored kids (they actually did a GREAT job, but they're 6 & 8 & act like it at times!). I called & talked to one of the pastors at our church (Lars) who promised to pray for the situation. In the meantime, I was thinking it might not happen until the afternoon & I really, really needed to lay down so we left. As we were driving down the parking garage, the phone rang & the hospital said the referal was in place...sooooo, we parked (again) & came back. We waited FOREVER, & my pain was increasing. I finally had Matt take the kids for a walk. In the meantime, my name got called for processing. The guy was way to pokey, & I'd been on my feet way too long (no vertical time since 5am, & it was around noon). I felt as if I was fading fast so I asked for a wheelchair (can you believe that I actually did that???) & was told I could go get one downstairs. I politely told the guy that I wasn't even 2 weeks post-op from MAJOR surgery with an incision that was at least 1 foot long & there was no way I was going to walk downstairs to the entrance for a wheelchair. In the meantime, Matt & the kids returned & got me one just (in time).

When the x-ray tech got my paperwork, she noticed that I'd documented that I was allergic to CT scan IVP contrast & that I hadn't done my allergy prep-work. (How could I? I didn't know about it yesterday?) When I had a CT scan at Potomac Hospital's ER, they put something in my IV right before injecting the dye...well, this radiology dept doesn't do that. I literally sat there & cried in front of them. I was tired, in pain, had waited around longer than I had to, & had NOTHING to show for it. They gave me a script for the steriods I need to take so we can return tomorrow around 1pm (24hrs after I took the 1st dose).

Part of Dr Cameron thinks that it's nothing; however, he's not blowing it off so that means it might be something.

Please pray for the pain to be under control, for an accurate diagnosis & treatment, for me to get A LOT of sleep tonight, & finally & most importantly for me to keep my focus where it belongs...on Christ & not on my temporal circumstances. Pray also for me to have patience & grace with my family regardless of how I'm feeling.

Thank you in advance for your prayers. Please do not worry or feel guilty for not responding. I know you love me & care for me & will pray for me. I truly appreciate it.

Love in Christ,
Stephanie<><

No comments: