Saturday, December 1, 2007

Surgery Update from Matt #2

Hi again,

Just a quick update that we are in a room now. It is Room #346 in the Marburg Pavilion. The phone number is 410-614-4812. The room is ridiculous, but I shouldn't be surprised since Dr. Cameron is Steph's doc. Let's just say the room is first class and then some!

Steph is feeling fine except for an extreme case of being itchy! This itching kept her up the entire night in the ICU and has gotten a little better now. They stopped giving her Fentanyl via an IV for pain (the Docs think she may be allergic to it) and now she is on an oral medication.

Only unfortunate setback so far is that she cannot have liquids yet because her amalase (enzymes in the stomach) levels are 1000...and normally they should be 100. The doctors feel confident that this will come down soon, and she will be able to start a liquid diet (Yeah!!)

On a positive note, she has been up and walking 3 times already. And she was able to wash her hair this morning....now my bride looks like a million bucks (just doesn't feel like it yet). Also, her dry witted humor is alive and well. She jokingly asked one of the nurses while we were walking this morning "So, when is my pizza coming?" It took a moment for the nurse to realize that she was joking.

Lastly, please pray that she gets relief from the itching. The doctors are at a lost as to the fact that she does not complain of pain but of being itchy. Hopefully the oral medication will help her with the pain of surgery.

As for me, I am doing fine. I am thankful that we are stationed here in Quantico so that we could get this surgery, and I am thankful that I have a great boss who supports me in spending this time with my wife and family. Surgery sure does put life in perspective.

Take care...

Matthew

No comments: